Saturday, February 4, 2012

Last night, starting a revolution with Roz and red red wine

Last night, I went with Amelia to the same bus station where the attempted mugging took place to make sure she got on okay. All went well and I'm very sorry to see her off. I love Aussies!
I took a taxi back to the hostel at about 8:45 at night, as a single female in downtown Quito, you must make sure the taxi is legit, ect. Initially I was very worried, but when I got down there nothing was sketchy.
My taxi driver spoke almost no English and we laughed at trying to communicate the who time. At a stop light he asked me to come sit up front with him and I thought, okay! Don't worry mom and dad he was not a creeper!! He asked about my family and he told me about mine.. What I understood of it anyway.
He was surprised at how young I was an that " moter" must be scared.
Anyway, he dropped me off, told me it was free, which I refused and he wished me the best of luck. Ecuadorians are very kind.
After a shower, I went to happy hour on the terrace. Phin, an American glass blower and commercial Alaskan fisher ( also a western Washingtoner) was super awesome. If I can find a job commercial fishing, I will!! He said he'd try to hook me up, so cross my fingers. You make upwards are 10-15 grand in a summer!!

Next I met the most amazing couple from Edinburgh. Roz and I hit it off immediately. She's an orthopedic therapist or something along those lines, but the economy is " shit, terrible" so shes working minimum wage. Unlike the masses of educated jobless people, she's not to peeved about it. She said she has zero student loan debt and healthcare, she again thinks America is a " bit backwards". Danny he boyfriend has dreamed of shredding in Colorado and I told them to come ASAP. After discussing every facet of life with people in a few hours, I again am adjusting to leaving them. It's a bit sad. They asked me to come to the jungle with them, but I'm off to Cuenca:(.
Regardless, hugs and kisses later, I think I just may see them again.
Roz, well traveled also gave me all her info for places all over East Asia( Bali, Thailand ect) and has me convinced it has to be my next trip.
Also got dive shop info for Galapagos, from a Canadian. The dive master is his friend and he told me he'd pass my name along, and could probably get an exceptional deal..

Inca trail booked for the 24 th of April, can't wait. Perhaps will do it with several people I met. Also am hoping to make it Banjos. It's a young, small, hippe town with zip lining, paragliding and the like. Everyone I've met said it's a must.

All of sudden I'm realizing 3 months is really no time at all!!

I'm at the airport, then to a hostel in Cuenca for a few days and will meet my host family Monday.
I'm also trying to figure out how to set up a separate tab of all the crazy traveling stories I hear around, some are unbelievable, hilarious and heart warming. Those to come.

Below is a pic of just one of the " in love couples" I found hilarious and had to discreetly photograph. This one is rated PG for your viewing pleasure.. Most are shall we say " explicit"

No comments:

Post a Comment