Friday, February 17, 2012

Carnival! Banos de Ambato

No pics this time, sorry guys! Today, i went to the market and got the most amazing mangos for 2 dollars. I will take some pics next time I go, because it is very impressive. There are fruits I have never seen before and indigenous to Ecuador. This weekend is also carnival.
Carnival is the celebration of lent and 40 days before Easter and everyone gets a four day weekend. There was a huge parade yesterday, lots of spuma attacks ( a foamy party spray, kind of like silly string, but messier) and music.
I'm leaving today to go banos de ambato." The adventure Capitol of Ecuador" and will hopefully raft, horseback ride and meet up with some friends from Gyaquille. I am traveling 6 hrs on bus with another girl from the school who is going! I am very excited to check out the public transportation! It will be really nice because Lisa and her boyfriend speak fluent Spanish soo a bit easier for me!
Also slowly learning more, I had ambitions of being conversationally fluent at the end of this program. Now I realize I will have a great base and be able to get around, understand the necessities, but will be far from spewing Espanol. This realization is a bit frustrating because I am studying harder than ever and feel constantly stuck. "poco a poco" they say!
Really excited to leave the city and have a break, it is much needed.
Talked to quite a few people this week and made me realize how much I miss everyone!! Hope all is well:)

Also.. I'm beginning to miss several American things:
1. Peanut butter
2. WHOLE Wheat bread
3. Water, that's safe to drink from the tap
4. Yoga and gyms..I constantly feel restless from lack of consistent exercise.
Another thing I'm a wee bit concerned about!! When I go to the biological reserve I'll be very Internet limited. Which means I have to plan everything for the rest of my trip( Galapagos ect) why I have the chance!! Lots of work, but I'm not complaining.
Nos vemos!
Love from Cuenca,
Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment