Sunday, February 26, 2012

City Tour, Panama Hat Co

This week I went to the banco central museum, took a walking tour of the city and went to the panama hat co

Despite living here for two plus weeks, I don't frequent the historical center often. Thus, I gained a renewed appreciation for Cuenca.
The banco central museum is built on top of the ruins of the second largest Inca city, Tomebamba. I also learned about the different indigenous peoples of Ecuador,( of which there are many). Music was used as a way to communicate to other worlds and the gods of the varying elements ( sun, moon,wind, ect) Not only did they have advanced textiles, musical instruments, trade routes, and irrigation systems- they did it all about more than 500 years before Europe did. Yet, when the Spanish arrived, those indigenous people needed to learn to live in civilized society!!
The colonial influence is everywhere in Cuenca and the people are very catholic. There is a convent 5 mins from my apartment. I could not imagine being cloistered anywhere for my entire life!!
Learned a lot about saints and the like, however, the coolest thing was the trip to the panama hat company. I'd never heard of these hats, but I have heard of Hermes!! They make all the hats for Hermes, fendi and the like in Paris. I got I see how all that hats are made and why pricing is different based on the amount of fibers woven ect. I hammed it up and took some photos with hats and nearly died when I saw a 1000 dollar price tag! A bargain compared to the 3000 it would be at Hermes. One hat can take 6 months to weave!!!
Also I included pics of famous people wearing the panama Cuenca hats, including: Sean connory, princess di, Julia Roberts in pretty women!!
Wish I could have got my gma one she would have loved them

Also love my host fam more and more!! I slept in and moncia made me breakfast in bed!! So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment