Monday, February 13, 2012

bombas, uneasiness and finding a restored sense of safety.

Yesterday,was the first scary day I've had here in Ecuador, that has made me more hesitant and fearful of the world around me.
I went to Gulacero with the my host mother, her friend and our nanny, Silvia. While Monica went to the bank she dropped us by a scenic river for a walk. The world through my eyes is different, because I'm a "gringo." At the park i was harassed by packs of me, followed and had water dumped on me multiple times. After surviving that ordeal and later riding the city bus to Banos, the local hot springs, I was fed up.
 Of being stared at an entire bus ride by men, saying inaporioprate things and frankly I was pissed. I wanted to flip them the bird, say more than a few nasty words ect. However, this is the part where i learn about cultural differences.
Here it is normal for men to stare.. its not rude and yelling inaprotirate things is acceptable. I could never live here, because walking down the street everyday makes you feel comfortable.
On the plus side, I'm more aware and all I can do it walk with confidence, stare anyone back in the eye with a silent, but meaningful mental " go to he.." you get the picture.

Have to runs eraands today and pick up some stuff at the super maxi..( black tea to be specific, the coffee at school is instant)
To the beautiful day ahead and all that it may bring. 

1 comment:

  1. If those guys only knew how scary angry Mackenzie could be! Stay safe on your trip!

    -Natalie

    ReplyDelete