Friday, April 20, 2012

Salar de Uyuni: Break down in Bolivia

Because of both my limited time and desire to see the salt flats ( the largest in the world) the best I could do was a one day trip with 2, 12 hr bus rides to get there! Not to mention the bus ride each way involves 6 hrs of unpaved, 8 wheeling in an ill equipped bus- sign me up!!
Worth EVERY second.
The single day tour misses the colored Lagunas and some rock formations, but hits the most important part, the salt eyes, mummy caves, salt hotel, process plant and of course: the actual flats.
My group consisted of a hilarious drunk Brazlian, Bolivian couple, Argentinian, confused Canadian( no Spanish) and Cristobal our Spanish speaking driver. Attempting to translate the majority of the day was a bit exhausting and difficult, but my broken phrases and enthusianm did the job.
The landscape looks false, from endless reflecting white to the clouds that almost seem to sit in the sky- all surrounded by snow capped peaks it was absolutely mind boggeling!! "Can it be ? Is this real!!?" was the repeating internal phrase running through my brain all day and hope the pictures to a little justice.


Finishing the tour, on the way back we literately had part of our wheel fly off ( the rim) and we became stranded for an hr- I actually thought we might never make it back. This is because though we possessed a spare Cristobal had neither a jack or other tools. Once one car ( after a half hr) lent us a jack- then proceeded to drive away.. Cristobal realized that " oops, I have no other tools"

AWESOME! The most universal phrase I learned today was " fuck"
Apparently it is the same, or also a favored expression in Spanish.

Another half hour later and a car appearing on the salt mirage we were saved and back to town! How my chacos will ever desalinate I have yet to discover.

On the bus ride back that rendered to try sleepless night we " kind of broke down"

2 am: attempted jump start of 30 person bus.

Somehow the crafty Boliviand managed to get the bus just rolling enough to start us on our way again and La PAWS.. Back I go!
In all, great company from some Emirted airline attendants, Bolivian couple, and an Aussie couple to share in my bus misery made a life just a bit better:)

Unfortunately the epic jumping pics as well as my humorous attempt to Snort a slat pile ( mom/dad, so for you) will have to uploaded at a later date when technology can be rendered useful once more!

No comments:

Post a Comment