Monday, April 16, 2012

Cusco and BOliVIA ME!! Titcaca

Arriving on the night bus from Cusco was quite fun in itself. This time, no sarcasm included. I had enough leg spaced and was seated next to the cutest Peruvian lady ever.
I'm currently in the process of learnin how to knit. I've been taught byy aunt and grandmother at various times iny life, but never have a I knitted consistently. Inspired by the queen of alpaca hats, the one and only Pam, I've bought needles and taken to the attempt. Alejandria and I made polite conversation in Spanish while she watched me struggle to cast on. She informed me that you have to study knitting in school and then proceeded to unravel my 2 rows( that took an hr) and started knitting.
She also laughed when we told her we paid 50 soles for the bus...GRINGA price.
Upon arrival, I was met with fresh mountain air, and scenery that was by far the most beautiful of any city I've seen yet. Our first agenda was to find a place to live with a terrace overlooking the city. After the mission was accomplished we explored the city and I had I Skype interview later for the Environmental Center back home. Technology is a beautiful thing.
I met up with my friend Ines who was headed to Bolvia and I realized: I had a week!! I've been on the love since entering Peru and covered double the distance in half the time.
Taking advantage of both a travel buddy, a better exchange rate and the chance it hike across Isla del Sol. ( A famed Island on the bolivian side steeped in inca history and beauty) I jumped on the opportunity.

Though not before visiting pisac, a beautiful mountain town in the Sacred Valley. On the way I met the first American girl I've met thus far in Peru! Megan is from near Tahoe and it was refreshing to meet a worldly American, under the age of 50:)
In addition to having the exact same Moleskins, we shared a love for Ashland Oregon!!!??! The world, a I've continued to learn is an incredibly shrinking place.
We parted ways with Megan and plan to meet up again in a week in Cusco. I also bid a temporary farewell to Pam and Joanna .. But will see them after their jaunt in the sacred valley in a weeks time as well

IMPORTANT NOTE:
1. the Bolivian government doesn't like Americans and this was the most difficult border crossing I've had thus far. This hatred comes from the US government destroying millions of acres of Coca plants ( from which cocaine is derived from) in the name of the war on drugs. Also in pretty sure we don't let Bolivians in the US of A at all.
2. Not only did I have to pay 140 us dollars( a fortune in this country) I had to file a visa and jump through a ton of bureaucratic hoops. A circus performer by the end of the process I was in Copacabana by night fall.
Copacobana
The first thing most evidently different is the street food. GIANT tubs of popcorn, peanuts nuts and fried pasta met me at every corner. Not only is there a lot in terms of quantity, but the maize from which it is popped is humongous. ( observe the photo below) it is also super sweet, like everything in Sud America ( con azurcar)
A nap, some good company provided by our new friends from France, The Netherlands and Australia rendered us well rested for our hike to Isla Del Sol in the morning.
It is a 2 hr ferry ride and a 4 ht hike across the Island. Though breath taking the locals really demolished some of the charm instantly. From demanding money at 3 different check points, to following trying to sell things despite our no gracias pleas and just being RUDE. My " holas and "buenos Dias" were met with mumbles and few returns. Tourism fuels their Economy, especially on the island an the hostility surprised me.
I wonder weather it's anger at a lost way of life or the nuisance of tourists?

No comments:

Post a Comment