Sunday, April 22, 2012

Inca Trail: surviving dead woman's pass like a pro, only to roll an ankle on the easy part

The Classic Inca trail consists of 3 nights and 4 days hiking the hills from Ollyantababo to Machu Picchu. It's the hardest of all the multiday treks because it climbs radically in altitude and it's just hard in that it consists if 2 12 hour days.
The real ball buster of the whole thing is that Incas and a local can run it in just under 4 hrs!!!! Absolutely crazy.
My group consisted of 6 people( including myself) 12 porters that carry food and water,( I've never felt more like a camping fraud in my life), and our guide.
I was super fortunate to have some awesome people on the trip and hopefully will see some of them in the future!
Wim and sheron are from Cape town south Africa, both doctors and the kindest people I've met!! They're traveling all the places they have wanted to or the next 4 months before starting a family!
Beth and nick are my hilarious London couple that kept me laughing the whole way. Whether it was was when we ran into a distressed bear cub( yes this happened ) or how many times we said " America, fuck ya!" or quoted Anchorman, it's safe to say I hope I'll see them again!!
Katrina was the other American in the group, almost 60 and hell bent in finishing. She and her husband will sail around the world in a few years.. Oh and she's from San Francisco!

We say 7 Inca sites in total before the big MP and the undeniable connection with nature that each represented was intriguing. The sacred valley had serious flooding 4 years ago, wiping put everything, expect Inca ruins! Each are built to withstand natures wrath and they make out modern attempts at architecture look flimsy in comparison.


Moreover the lush green mountains surrounded by white capped peaks and clouds that almost just " sit" in the sky made everyday viewing a pleasure.

My camera died before MP so that god for my friends and the IPhone.. Hilarious.
The bathrooms along the way were frightening holes in the ground and I am blessed to say I did not fall in one.

Here are some pictures. More to come, but catching up so the blogs a bit brief! In Lima now, headed to Quito for a night then!! Miami

No comments:

Post a Comment