Friday, April 6, 2012

12 hrs of confined pain: Civa bus ride

Because of my now favorite holiday ( sarcasm here) all the buses were booked out of Huacchina and we ended up finding a ticket, only on a crappy bus.
As I sat down and without reclining my seat my knees were already impaled in the seat in front of me; sleep became a distant memory.
Add in the screaming child behind me, the heat and lack of deodorant wearing individuals it created a recipe for discomfort.

However, I shudder to think of what this ride would have been like for my nearly 7 ft brother or 6'6 Dad. First of all, I doubt they'd even be able to sit down!! Budget travel favors the more compact individuals.

Instead of being a negative nancy, I will also include the positives!
Thank god this bus ride was at night because the perilous curves and people killing drops in the day would have made me cry. Now I understand why there is always a giant picture of Christo ( Christ) at the front of all buses.

After 9 hours on the bus we stopped in the most disgusting side cafe ever, the bathrooms we sans running water and there was no water and scoop bucket. Joanna flat out refused to go , while Pam and I did not have iron bladders.
Hand sani and headaches from refusing the breathe: we decided to stretch our legs. Except that all the men didn't want to wait for the bathroom so every wet patch of dirt soaked with urine. Needless to say, exercise abandoned.

Arriving in Aeroquipa and ditching out first hostel with the 3 in house bars filled with drunk Aussies in favor or a quieter section of time- worth it:)
Out of the desert, into some jeans. Life is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment