Tuesday, April 3, 2012

BUSES, Trujillo, Huarez and la clima Malo

Busing about 27 hrs in 2.5 days I found made it to Huaraz, the mountainous trekking capital of Peru.
However, I not only ran into Zach tm Vilcabamba friend on the bus to Trujillo I also encountered some more amazing Peruvian hospitality.
Back on the road again I also have enjoyed speaking a more Spanish ( fluent Frances is no longer with me to pick up my slack).
I helped a russian named Viltia through the border with my Spanish, felt pretty legit.
However, my crowning achievement and best experience was at Casina Desa Cafe:
Walking to downtown Trujillo on Domingo ( Sunday) when nearly all business are closed, is not very excited and after I got my fill of colonialism.. In 10 minutes. I went in search of some real food and wifi.
Lucky for me, I didn't have to go far.
I was walking up a street looking like a "mochillada" ( backpacker) and went by a chalk board that said best coffee in town. If you know me, then you know I turned right in!
It was deserted I thought it was closed, but it is just a Sunday in catholic sudamerica.
Casina Desa is an art gallery, coffee shop in a renovated enormous colonial house, complete with a garden.
The sign didn't lie and I had the best cappuccino ever, and some great veggie pizza. I also talked with the two girls working there in Spanish ( Yahoooo) and before I knew it I was giving a tutorial on latte art.
I ought my bus ticket and returned I the cafe for more awesome company.
Dahila( her mom) and Pierina were the greatest. Really. I felt at home and they made me dinner before I left and invited me back to their homes anytime :)
Awww!!
Here is a taste of the cafe art and my Trujillian friends:)

On a cultural note Semana Santa or Easter Sunday is coming and it is a huge deal in traditional Catholic Peru.
I've seen two parades in the last 24 hrs. Both pretty bad. The one of Jesus below war taken right before the 4 men carrying the heavy Jesus altar, nearly dropped him. Regardless, a cultural experience nonetheless.

On the home front .. As of now, no Alaska. Apparently all the jobs I applied for about 50 other people, wanted them too! Holding out for the other 5 I've yet to hear back from:)

No comments:

Post a Comment