Friday, March 16, 2012

Horseback riding, relaxation, great company and expanding my horizons

This past week I have been enjoying some warmth and new cultural side of Ecuador.
Vilcabamba is in the southern part of loja province near the Peruvian border. It's a popular backpacker stop because of both the close crossing and the relaxing vibes.
However, in the recent years Vilcabamba has become an expat haven. I've met more Americans here that any other part of Ecuador. The weather, scenic views and natural beauty are a definite draw, but I think the tropical hallucinogens are even more appealing.
I've met more old hippies who got lost on their way back from Woodstock, than grounded individuals. In fact, the natural healers and raki practitioners in boulder seem like kittens to these holistic tigers!!
San Pedro and Iowasca experiences are the norm and I've find myself at a divide. I'm a hippie in the sense that I care about recycling, the planet, enjoy nature and find the simple life appealing. I'm not, however a true hippie. I've seen true hippies here: people who have kids, travel from place to place to play music, juggle and sell homemade jewelry- all shoeless. My relationship with Pachamama is amateur and you know what?? I'm just find with that!!
I met some awesome German and Danish folks and hope to link of with them in Peru after Galapagos and have been basking in the fresh air.
Also went on an awesome 4 hr horseback ride to a waterfall that was both exhilarating and terrifying. Hiking lots as well and catching up travel plans, ect.
Moreover I met the most wonderful inspiring woman and would like to share my dinner conversations with Lise penel:

I met lise in a cafe in Cuenca where we both were despondent about the rain. Originally from Montreal; List speaks french, English, German, some Spanish, Italian and Indonesian!!
Now retired and 66 we chatted over coffee and said goodbye.
Last Saturday, on my vilcambaba she ended up being on the same buseta!!
She speaks soapy languages because she taught English through out Europe and lived in Bali for 3 years with her husband, while he worked. Her husband, a French parisian got his Master's degrees from CSU and used to be a ski bum Vail.. Small small world.
Now she travels and lives close to her son in Edmonton Canada, and is still an adventurer.
We went with friends to a restaurant that specializes in an 80 proof liquor, fermented with a REAL snake. I chicken out and didn't take a shot.. Though there is still time for me to have some if I change my mind.. Anyway, Lise is champ and took it!!
Because she had a family, a career and saw the world, it's possible.
Continuing to meet people from all walks of life, and learning more about the kind of life I want, and the kind I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment