Monday, March 12, 2012

A beautiful change in plans: vilcabamaba

Tolerance for adversity and uncertainty was a core NOLS principal I learned prior to coming to South America. Without a doubt it has been one of the helpful life-lessons I've learned thus far.
In lieu of the limited amount of time I have here and the burnout of intensive school, I have chosen not to work at the biological reserve. They changed the dates on my arrival several times and every time I contacted them; something was different," it is going to cost this much, can you come two days earlier or a week later". Frustrated and tired of planning, I even debated coming home a bit earlier.
However, the emotion subsided when I realized how short a time 2 months is and now I can do some things I didn't think I would be able to!
This includes Galapagos for 2 weeks, Making a trip in mountainous southern Ecuador, seeing the Nazca line and lake titcaca as well as trekking Machu Picchu.
I finished classes on Tuesday and hung out with friends and the family for the next few days.
I've met some awesome people in Chicago and now must add it to the even growing list of places I want to go. Also sent the week with a friend from England who is teaching English is Cuenca. Lucy assisted me in cooking a giant meal for the family and also be joining me in Vilcambaba in a bit.
For dinner I made a creamy carrot soup, asparogas with caramelized onion, baked potatoes with spicy. Rams and queso as well as an apple pie! I also made the kids a batch of homemade caramel corn and it seemed to a huge hit.
Cooking had some serious challenges. Whether it was the gas stove and oven with no markings on what is low, high or light.. Or the fact that singing your eyebrows is a common occurrence, I felt blessed to have only burnt a few potatoes.
As I packed for Vilcabamaba i also realized that I have accumulated more things, and there is no space!!
Lucky for me, this is delayed issue I will deal with I'm a week.
Left some things with Monica in Cuenca and will return next Sunday for a night before heading to Galapagos Wed. March 21.

PS: having serious issues with uploading pics because so google settings have changed, so until I can get it worked out the, you just have to imagine!! ( sorry)

On another exhilarating note!! I have an interview for a job in Alaska teaching environmental education!! Send some good vibes my way:)

PpSs
Today my mom Deb is having surgery. I wish I was there to support her and have been thinking of her lots. Positive thoughts always been positive results. Love you Mom and today is a great day, can't wait to hear from you post op:)

No comments:

Post a Comment