Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Galapagos Days 1-2

After Landing in Baltra, on without a doubt the classiest flight ever. LAN is truly superior, American Airlines in comparison is similar to a smelly tin can with taped on wings.
We ( Will, Frances and myself) took a bus ride with about 25 people too many on it, to a ferry and then! Another bus ride. After landing in Puerto Ayora we found a hotel for the 3 of us for 12 a night, pretty classy digs.
Then, I discovered.. " the shampoo explosion" imagine an entire bottle of dove just overflowing in your backpack.. This was my unfortunate reality. The worst thing about cleaning it up is that it continuously suds..

Enough on that sad note because it gets soooooo much better.
We found a restaurant open for almurezo, past 3! Only vegetarian options here are not existent. So after nearly 2 years I ate cerviche and survived. I guess I can be sure that it definitely was fished sustainably since it was caught about 3 hrs prior.

The leg work began and we went to your agencies acquiring about both routes and prices.
In Galapagos there are two basic itineraries. One that goes for 5-8 days to San Cristobal, hood, Santa Cruz and possibly San Domingo. This is not a particulary appealing when you can reach three other these places via day drips.
Therefore, the clear winner was a tour circling Isla Isabella and then hitting San Domingo on the return. We found one cruise offering this trip and it left in 2 hrs with 4 spaces left.
Because it was last minute an there were three people doing it we nabbed an amazing price 2 grand less than what it is. I also got a bit more luxury then truly necessary, but I'm not really complaining.
We grabbed out " mochilas" ( backpacks) and took a water taxi to our 10 cabin catamaran. Our rooms are pretty enormous and this is the first private bathroom I've had in a month and a half.
There was only one other couple from Spokane Washington, the rest from Germany, Finland and Hungry. We got settled at 830 and had to be up at 6 am the next day!
Day 1:
Breakfast then take a dingy raft to the nestling iguana islands and the mainland to hike to the second largest volcanic crater ( the first in Africa).
Back to the boats for Lunch .. Amazing food all around!! The best I have eaten in again 1.5 months.

Day 2:
Morning dry land on new lava island.( Ferdinand I think, but am not positive)
Then, we went snorkeling twice.
I'm kicking myself for not having an underwater camera, but it is an experience also, so I just took about a million mental pictures!
I swam with sea lions.. One actually bumped me, saw over 6 turtles and a a ton of fish. It was unreal. I've been to Maui before and this made snorkeling there seem measly.

We also checked out some nesting sights of flightless comorants

No comments:

Post a Comment